Leopard geckos are such sweet species among lizards: they behave, they look amazing, are docile, easy to tame, insectivores, nocturne and when they reach adulthood you’ll only feed them once in a few days. They are great as a pet because most geckos can live 20 or even more years in captivity (as a pet, in a special tank) and they don’t grow too much (as adults they reach about 8 to 10 inches, including the tail). They are low maintenance pets and do not require a lot of food, cleaning, time or care. If you are a beginner when it comes to caring for a gecko lizard, you may find the next details about terrariums very helpful. Remember that baby geckos can be stressed when left in a quite spacious tank, so it’s recommended to start small: a small tank/container/terrarium and to purchase a new one when it hits adulthood. One of the unique things about the leopard geckos is that unlike other geckos, they do not have sticky little hands and they can easily climb walls, rocks, trees and basically anything, so choose a terrarium that not only has a lot of space but it also has a rich background, with rocks, a climbing dimension, little branches and so on (you can decide if they will be 100% real or made of foam/plastic).
When looking for the best cage for your leopard gecko lizard, try to consider some of these features:
• Its height
• Its width
• Doors with separate locks
• A screen top for ventilation
• A waterproof base
Next, you can find five of the best leopard gecko terrariums with their details and comparison and we hope that you’ll get a great habitat space for your four-legged tiny pet.
|Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium||$||Click Here|
|Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit||$$$||Click Here|
|Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium||$$||Click Here|
|Zilla Reptile Starter Kit 10 with Light and Heat||$||Click Here|
|Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium, 24 by 18 by 12-Inch||$$||Click Here|
1. Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium
Designed by the best European herpetologists, this terrarium has all the comforts needed for any type of reptiles and amphibians (ideal for small species of snakes, lizards, frogs, and geckos). Recommended for both novice and experienced leopard gecko owners, the terrarium is easy to use and clean and will surely make a great home for your little friend.
Its design, quality and esthetic recommend it, along with the following features:
• It comes in mini wide dimension: 12”x12”x12”
• It has accessible front doors for maintenance and feeding: the doors can also be opened separately to prevent escape
• Built quality is all around the cage: high-quality materials, holes to run cables inside if you need, underneath and sides
• The specially designed represents an extra security measure against curious kids or sneaky pets
• The stainless cover is removable and it is secured to the terrarium frames with durable locks
• In order to permit tubing and wiring inside the terrarium, there are built-in closable inlets
• The full-screen top is made of natural glass that allows UVB and infrared light to enter without problems
• Pivoting doors are recommended because they are high-quality, durable and, in contrast with sliding doors, they won’t allow sand and debris to jam the opening space
• The ground surface is large enough for all types of reptile
• The raised bottom frame allows you to pace substrate heating or heat cables and keeps the bottom panel well-ventilated with both hot and cold spots
• The waterproof base is tested for leaks, allows deep layers of substrate and provides all the space needed for decor
• The natural-looking rock background has multiple channels, tubing, extra climbing dimension, fake jungle plants, rocks, and provides a comfortable habitat
The box you’ll receive contains the natural glass terrarium and the decorative background.
2. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
This Rainforest kit is fully made of glass and contains the glass tank, a block of substrate for the bottom of the tank, 2 hanging plants that can be attached on the glass surface due to their suction cups, a ground plant with a heavy base, a long branch that can be shortened or twisted around the tank, a small water dish, the light hood (the lights are not included) and also a thermometer and a hygrometer. The tank is spacious enough for you to add rocks, a little cave or more plants, but the ones offered are more than enough for your gecko’s needs.
Next, you can find more details about the tank and its accessories:
• It comes in medium size, great even for two geckos that are sharing the same tank (there is also a small size available)
• It is spacious enough for a pair of geckos: they can hide, move around and play
• The top unlatches and lifts off in addition to the front doors opening
• The full-screen top ventilation was specially designed to permit the entrance of the UVB rays from the lightening system
• It is made entirely of glass
• The dual front doors make cleaning and feeding much easier
• The screen top is made of metal
• The background has a more natural look due to its quality plastic
• The cage is ideal for any type of small reptiles
• If this is your first terrarium, you’ll be happy to find the user’s manual included in the box
The terrarium comes with all you need for a successful start when experiencing having a leopard gecko lizard as a pet. Offer your little friend the best home it could dream of.
3. Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium
Designed with an extra climbing dimension, this terrarium presents similar characteristics with other model made entirely of glass, yet it is not identical. This Terra Short terrarium is suitable for all small reptile species and has a very well designed background that seems perfectly natural. Designed by European herpetologists, the cage has the perfect measurements and decoration to make your pet feel like home. Some of its best features are:
• It is comfortable for a pair of adult geckos, there is enough space for two of them
• The front doors can be opened separately In order to prevent any escapes, accidents, and to make cleaning and feeding easy and efficient
• The lock in the front is very effective and you won’t have problems with it
• The screen lid locks with four locks (separately) and there are slots in the back for cords (the slots can also be closed)
• The front opening doors are convenient when it comes to a quick water or food filling
• Its removable top is really helpful when it comes to bigger tasks such as rearranging the habitat pieces or a deep cleaning
• It has 5 closable inlets for wires and tubing
• It measures 18 x 18 x 12 inches and it’s all a leopard gecko needs to thrive
• The screen top ventilation allows UVB and infrared light to enter in the tank
• On the front window is a fixed extra high, perfect for thick layers of substrate
• The bottom plate of the terrarium is raised in order to permit mounting a substrate heater
Don’t worry about the shipping: the terrarium comes in a fit cardboard box that has foam on its corners on the inside in order to protect the glass walls.
4. Zilla Reptile Starter Kit 10 with Light and Heat
Designed to meet all requirements a gecko lizard might have, simple and easy to keep clean, this reptile cage is low maintenance and affordable. It comes as a desert setup to be as realistic as possible for any small terrestrial reptile and it only takes a few minutes to put it all together and install it.
The starter kit has plenty of space for baby geckos and even for adult ones: most of the gecko lizards do not require large space. Some of the terrarium’s features are:
• It is a size 10 glass terrarium and it’s a perfect habitat for desert-dwelling pets
• It comes with two spot bulbs: a night black incandescent (for nighttime warmth, not too bright, do it won’t bother you or your reptile) and a white one (for daytime)
• It has two 5.5 inches reflective dome light fixtures
• The reflexive dome lights provide both light and heat for your pet’s health
• The top screen is very sturdy so do not worry for the lights that are sitting on top of it: the quality glass is made to support even more
• There is a Temperature/Humidity gauge that allows you to quickly read the environment parameters
• The carpet is non-abrasive, odor-resistant and cannot be digested
• You can add any type of decoration you want (plants, climbing options, rocks, sand)
• In order to protect the glass, the product is shipped in reinforced packaging
If you are a beginner when it comes to owning a gecko lizard and installing a proper habitat for it, the Basic Desert Kit care guide that is included might be exactly what you need.
5. Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium
Designed to become a comfortable habitat for any small specie of reptile or amphibian and indeed recommended for a gecko lizard. If you are a reptile lover and it happens for you to own one, this terrarium might be the next great purchase for your little friend. The terrarium measures 24 x 18 x 12 inches and it’s both tall and wide enough even for a pair of geckos. It uses PT2055 or PT2077 Lamp: Light Dome / Aluminum UV Reflector (with a PT2223 bracket). The background it’s made of foam and its colors are so realistic that you’ll have to look closer in order to realize its true material.
The details about this product that may help you to make your mind quicker are:
• Its front door can be open separately for a better access when it comes to cleaning and feeding and to prevent the pets to get out
• The screen top allows the UVB and infrared light to come through and heat/light the interior of the terrarium
• The top is also very helpful when it comes to ventilating the glass interior
• There are 5 closable inlets for inserting wires or tubing in the back of the screen (useful if you want to install sensors, waterfalls, heat wave rocks and other)
• The bottom plate is raised for a better access if there is need for a substrate heater and it’s also waterproof
• The extra high front window was designed for thick layers of substrates or for aquatic parts
• It provides an extra climbing dimension
• The frame is made of stainless steel and the glass wall are resistant
• Spacious and well-built, it can provide enough room for water and food dishes, hiding spots, climbing spots and overall a great living space
Leopard geckos are generally found in the desert so they naturally prefer a dry and warm environment. It is very important to also provide a hiding space (even better if there are multiples) that is less dry for when they need to shed their skin. It is recommended to get a terrarium that can offer both a warm and a cool area on its bottom plate and simply observe which one your gecko prefers. That’s why most terrariums have the bottom plate raised so you can install a substrate heater on one side and live it as it is on the other side. When it comes to decorating the terrarium you should know that a hiding space per gecko is needed, but they appreciate what they can find for more playing and hiding such as branches and rocks or moistened moss when it is time to shed their skin. A healthy leopard gecko is one that won’t hide ore than usual, won’t present discolored skin and won’t stop eating and drinking at some point.
Keep a close eye on your little pet and change the temperature/humidity if you notice it is uncomfortable. A proper environment will keep your gecko healthy and happy.